Saturday, March 12, 2016

Shanghai Saturday



We are heading to Shanghai for spring break. My husband is there working with the team that will open the new  Disney Shanghai park. This weekend and the next few days will be a blur and flurry of getting ready and packing. Lucky for us, my friend Amy and her family's trip to Shanghai will over lap ours. Amy's husband is working there too. We've been encouraging each other while our husbands are away. I call it the China Wives Club. Really it's just us meeting up to share details from the week and lean on each other.

Amy and her husband Tom were our first couple friends.  I will never forget the first time I met Amy. Rick invited me to go camping with him, Tom and Amy at Blue Springs. This was before we were all married, but I love to camp, so of course, I said yes!

The boys went up to Blue Springs ahead of us (maybe we had to work later or they had the day off). Regardless, when Amy and I arrived, tents were set up. twinkle lights strung and white linen covered the picnic tables. There were fresh flowers and a citronella candle and china and red wine and real glasses. Pork tenderloin with some sort of orange sauce was cooking. I'd say they won us over.

Rick and Tom invented glamping that trip. Boy it was fun. 

Twenty-three years later, I am sure that we will have a grand time together again. I can't believe that this time next week, we'll be in Shanghai.  

Thank you to StaceyBetsyDanaTaraBeth, Anna, Kathleen & Deb for 
creating community and valuing teachers' writing. This is post 12 of 31 for 
the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. Join us at Two Writing Teachers.


4 comments:

  1. How exciting that you'll be traveling to Shanghai! SO glad your good friend is sharing this journey with you both stateside and abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting that you'll be traveling to Shanghai! SO glad your good friend is sharing this journey with you both stateside and abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your story of you and your husband & your friends, too, Lee Ann. Have a marvelous, marvelous trip. Share pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your blue springs camping foray started and now has not ended... have fun in Shanghai.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.