Tuesday, January 1, 2013

One Little Word: Be


My  word for 2013: be
"What Bee Did"    by Julie Larios is a poem that has buzzed around my ears since last spring. I read it for Poem in Your Pocket day to my students. I love the word play:
"Bee not only buzzed.When swatted at, Bee deviled,
Bee smirched. And when fuddled,
like many of us, Bee labored, Bee reaved."
Isn't that like so many of us? Instead of just being or letting be we are bedeviled, besmirched, befuddled or bereaved. Instead of waiting, resting in faith we belabor. We distract ourselves. We avoid. We run. We work. We do.

I've never participated in a one word , word up or one little word challenge, but I was inspired by Ruth Ayres' artwork on this  post on Two Writing Teachers in mid-December. I was struck by Ruth's word salt and the verse on her artwork Mathew 5:13 . I love the layers in the piece, the suggested texture and grain--the simplicity of black and white and it's connection to the word's form on our tables. I have been reading and thinking about the one little word challenge since.

I share my wonderings. I talk. I speculated about the one word thing with friends, with other Moms, with my Mom, with people at church, in the bookstore and at the market.  I decided to take Ali Edwards' workshop. A friend registered with me.

Last night at a New Year's Even celebration I was talking to someone I'd just met about the challenge and sharing Ruth's story of salt. When she asked what word I'd chosen it was clear: be.  "Be still and know...(Psalm 46:10)" was her reply. We shared a smile and then talked about being as opposed to doing.

It's going to be an amazing year.
Slice of Life served up by  Two Writing Teachers
every Tuesday.


12 comments:

  1. Have an excellent year! Thanks for sharing your inspiration for BE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year to you! May 2013 BE a good year for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacey. Thank you even more for inspiring me to write more with the Slice of Life and your own writing. You inspire me! Happy New Year to you and yours.

      Delete
  3. May you "be" still and be-come and be-lieve that this will be the best year yet. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maya--especially for the honest writing you did about your rocky path and your quest to seek what is sacred in your own classroom. Strong work.

      Delete
  4. I look forward to reading more about your insights for BE! Thank you for sharing your thought process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jaana. I love the two words you chose and am sure they too will nourish my own walk this year.

      Delete
  5. I love your story, Lee Ann, & that it has percolated all this time from the 'Bee' poem by Larios. I love that book too, so happy to hear that it has inspired more than making honey! Have a wonderful year "being".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I've long enjoyed imagining how to make honey--but I've never made it. Our neighbors put in a couple of bee hives recently. I'm curious to see what happens next.

      Delete
  6. Be was actually one of my words but I kept coming back to Joy. Love the story you shared. "Be still and know." - a perfect passage.
    Love your sidebar "Be"
    You asked about the dots on my painting - it was bubblewrap - I placed it right onto the wet red. background. Have you tried gelli prints - love working with it. I did a post onit a while back.
    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I created that "Be" in Photoshop with Ali Edwards elements. I have not tried gelli prints, but had just recently read a post on using bubble wrap. I will look for your gelli post. I dabble and paint occasionally. So fun when I happen on new ways to make texture and depth!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.