Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Zucchini Pizza Planks

My son has a friend over. The friend boasts a limited menu from which he will eat: pizza, jello, cheese, bacon, bread, milk. Those are his basics (and nearly any chip known to man). Finding myself out of bacon and nearly chipless, I decided to make them pizza rounds for lunch. I used whole grain sandwhich thins for their pizza crusts (the food critics didn't even notice all the grainy seeds!). I knew I'd want pizza, but real pizza with crust does not fit into my summer health goals, so I decided to try Zucchini Pizza Planks. 

Line baking sheet with parchment paper. 
Slice thin and season with salt and pepper.
Top with 1 Tablespoon of tomatoe sauce (no or low sugar), part skim mozzarella cheese and turkey pepperoni.

Bake at 350ยบ for 12-15 minutes (until cheese is melty and pepperoni crisps up).

Loved them! Cheesy, pepperoni goodness definitely satisfied my pizza urge this afternoon.  I like zucchini, but I can see where a person who does not like zucchini would not like them as pizzas either. It makes a soft, rather juicy, pizza crust. I wonder if you can crisp up the zucchini plank first and then top it with pizza goodness? 

1 comment:

  1. Thinking if you broil the planks a little first you might get some crunchy text and perhaps a thinner slice. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.