Sunday, April 1, 2012

Face Painting Smiles

Face painting at St. Luke's Lutheran Church
The line of parents, strollers and children winds across the basketball court, a sea of pastel, flower garden, plaid pants. Polished and smiling, the children dart between parents Easter baskets in hand.

I am set up with other face painting volunteers for the Sunday afternoon Easter Eggstravaganza at church. On my table are paint brushes, a Snazaroo palette of paints, paper towels. Silver glitter glints on a white plate as I swirl a brush in water and smile at the pink organza as a little girls poofs into the brown bucket seat   in front of me.

"Hi, what's your name?" I ask.

Eyes peek at me from under fresh clipped bangs, wisps of hair escape the barret. I lean forward to hear the soft-spoken name. Sometimes it's Chloe or Jasmine or Austin or Grant or Porter or Grace or Johnny.

"Would you like me to paint something on your cheek or one your hand?" I inquire.

Doe eyes look toward the ceiling, a glint of grin peeks across a cheek. Children reply on my cheek or my hand or my forehead or my WHOLE face! Answers (and Mommy's wishes) vary.

"What would you like me to paint today?" I display the painter's page of quick and easy Easter designs. Some take the bait, others dream: a unicorn, a penguin , Lightning McQueen, a zebra.

"A zebra, huh?" I stall trying to pull the shapes into my fingers. Dabbing a makeup sponge with white, I begin.  I  paint as heads wobble or turn, some lean into my holding hand, entranced by the feel of the brushes on their cheeks.

"Would you like a little glitter?" the standard finish.

Yes or no or sure or okay, or maybe just a little bit or a LOT or no thank and it makes me break out.

Sparkles flutter and flit. I will glitter through Tuesday, I'm sure.  I hand over the mirror and wait for the grin.

video





3 comments:

  1. Love your skill! It is a great way to bring smiles....and unadulterated joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spillane, is there anything you can't do? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is SO fun to draw and paint! I just started to draw faces this year! :) and I hope I'll never stop.. I have to paint or draw or both, every day..
    henna tattoos

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.