Saturday, March 10, 2012

Eat Quiche

My teacher friends and I were talking at the lunch table one day about recent restaurant meals we'd had. I said, "the food was so good, I had to take a picture of it." One of the teachers laughed, nearly snorted her soup out her nose actually, and replied, "Lee Ann you always take pictures of food."

She's right. I just hadn't realized it. I love taking pictures. Its one way I appreciate things.  I photograph. I thank and remember.

And I do love good food. I love the colors, the textures, the image food makes on a well presented plate, all of it. That's given me a thicker waist than I'd like (I'll be working on that this spring and summer). In the meantime, I'm getting back to basics in the kitchen and avoiding processed things, no more protein bars for breakfast for me. Here's what I'm cooking up to "heat and eat" for breakfast this week:

One cooked, these also freeze well. Microwave 1 minute to heat.
Quiche Cups: Ready to Go
adapted from a South Beach recipe

6 eggs or 3/4-1 cup of egg whites
1/4 low fat milk
1/2 cup chopped broccoli
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
handful of low fat cheese (probably a 1/4 cup)
handful of fresh spinach (cut in ribbons or use to line the sides of the muffin cup)
Mrs. Dash
Fresh ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 350°. Wisk the eggs with the milk. Add in vegetables. Blend. Spray foil muffin cups with cooking spray. I use olive oil in a Misto sprayer I can refill. Line the muffin cup with spinach leaves. Drop about a  1/4 cup of the mixture into each foil muffin cup. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Serve with hot sauce!

Enjoy! 


PS: I'm participating in the Two Writing Teachers' Slice of Life blogging challenge. The challenge has us posting a slice a day for the month of March. This weekend (slice 9, 10 and 11)  I thought I'd write slices on my personal blog instead of my teaching blog to bring a bit of balance--in my writing life of late--between the two. We'll see how it works out.

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm... that does look good! Nice change of pace for slicing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear how these taste! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This sounds great! Need to make something like this so I can grab and go during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I think I know what I'm having for breakfast next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the idea to post a recipe on my blog for Slice of Life after one of my students brought in a recipe in SOL journal. These quiches look great. My family is on the same journey...no processed foods and making healthy choices. Thanks for sharing. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy food, beautiful picture. I've been carrying the camera around more often these days. I'm hoping that I can capture the moment in pictures as well as words.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.