Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cherry Peach Pumpkin Chili


I have spent the fall trying to imitate a recipe my Mom brought home from American Spoon: Cherry Peach Pumpkin Chili. The sweet of the fruit, savory pumpkin and ground turkey, cinnamon and cocoa: it's a complex array of flavors, simply delicious. American Spoon's version involves their Cherry Peach Salsa (savory but 8.95 + shipping) and Pumpkin Chipotle Roasting Sauce (also delicious, also expensive and apparently seasonal). The recipe must be seasonal as it's not posted to the recipe collection now. The tart cherries make the recipe, I'm sure. I enjoy the adventure, the challenge of figuring the recipe out. Even the trials are tasty. My current thinking is that I should add chipotle spices to the pumpkin and not the pureed pepper with adobe sauce that I've been adding--the pepper takes over and its heat eliminates the complexity of the spices. I also think it's time I buy some fresh cherries and attempt to make my own salsa, but that's another adventure in and of itself, so it will have to wait for summer or spring break time.
My current version goes something like this: 
Olive oil - spray the stockpot
1 sweet onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic pressed
2 lbs ground turkey
2 TBSP cumin
2 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 (8 oz) cans Cannellini beans
1 (28 oz) can stewed or chopped tomatoes
1-2 (8 oz) cans of Rotel tomatoes (original)
1 (8 oz) can of tart cherries in water
1 (8 oz) can of pumpkin
1 (small) can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Saute onion and garlic in olive oil.Brown the turkey.Add spices, tomatoe and beans.Remove the seeds from the chipotle peppers and puree the peppers and adobo sauce.Add 1- 2 tsp. of puree to chili; store the remainder in the refrigerator. Puree the cherries and pumpkin and add to chili.
Simmer for an hour or an afternoon (on Sunday afternoons I start it after church and we eat it by 4 o'clock).Serve with sour cream and crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.