Thursday, December 30, 2010

Tacky Dominoes

Number side of a finished necklace I made for Kristin Ellis Maurice.

"Are you ready to go back to school?" she asked.
""No way! I could play here at home for weeks more."




Me too, what about you? If you're a teacher, like me, you're in the midst of winter break. Are you ready to go back to school? I've had so much fun in the studio this vacation that I could use another week or two. The  domino necklaces are coming along. The Etsy shop is up, but not populated with product yet. I've got to figure out the tax angle before I list anything.
Tray of tacky dominoes. I may have to start these 20 over!
 Of course right when I think I've got it--figured out the domino process--I hit a snag. Today's snag is sticky resin. I must not have measured carefully enough. Easy Cast resin (mixed 1 to 1) usually sets up in 24 hours. Not so when I mix it wrong. The surface is tacky--I can see fingerprints if I touch the tops. In the past I've used spray resin to coat it and cover the tack, but I know that doesn't work for how I wear the dominoes.
I like to wear mine number side out. When I used that spray resin last time, the image side got soft like those jelly shoes. It got so soft and pliable that I eventually worked a corner up and peeled off the entire image. Resin is turning out to be trickier than I first thought.

PS: Guess what? You can apply another coat of resin to the sticky resin. I wiped them with acetone, applied more resin and presto it worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.