Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Art Shop

Did you know that I had an art booth in college? I designed dried floral wreaths sometimes with bits of shells. Larkspur, hydrangea, roses, statice, baby's breath, sphagnum moss, leather leaf fern these words were part of my art language then. I worked for the Tallahassee Downtown Improvement Authority while in graduate school. One project I helped create was All Around Town Art, a Saturday art market in a downtown alley.  I even set up my own booth there selling dried floral wreaths. I displayed them on a tall-as-me, painted tri-fold pegboard.
Now my art vocabulary includes such things as gesso, mod podge, epoxy resin, casting, water slide paper and more. I collage and paint and experiment with resin and dominoes. My whimsical creations  feature animals from a royalty free illustration book that I cut up. I've long thought that if I started my own shop on Etsy, I might not sell much, but I'd at least have a way to write off a portion of the art supplies I buy. Right? I'm making progress toward to the Etsy shop.
I have:

  • a studio 
  • a name
  • a shop banner
  • 50 some odd collages to list


Like that downtown art market with artists lining the alley's nooks in booths and canvas tents is Etsy, but in a  higher resolutione. Sometimes I call it an eBay for artists. Though you can find fine art there, Etsy is not a juried art space. As it's tag line boasts, Etsy is "your place to buy and sell all things handmade." What do I still need to do to get the shop, Copper Monkey, open? I need to:

  • investigate shipping costs
  • order/create packaging 
  • order/create stickers for packaging
  • finalize photographs of the artwork
  • write the shop's statement or story
  • mail DBA paperwork to the state
  • set up business banking account
Lots to look forward to. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, how do you like the Copper Monkey banner? Is the blue section to plain? Let me know.

: ) las

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.