Sunday, December 13, 2009

Twinkle, Twinkle


At the dinner table the other night Collin asks me, "how do you make your eyes twinkle?"

Huh? I think before he continues. "You know, in books they say that the character's eyes twinkled. How do you do that?"

"Oh! That kind of twinkling. Well, you know when writers say "his eyes twinkled" they are really saying that the character looks happy or mischievous--they have a sparkle in their eyes and maybe a smile. Their eyes aren't really twinkling like Christmas lights twinkle."

"Oh, you mean like this?" Collin replies and bugs his eyes out at me, tilting his head to catch a glint of light.

"Ummm, maybe not quite like that," I reply covering my mouth with my napkin up to disguise my grin.

"Like this?" eyes bulge and his eyebrows go up nearly to this hairline.

"Aahh, a little more natural looking than that," I laugh back.

And so it goes. I just love that he wondered about it because of descriptions he's seen in books. In the meantime, if you see Collin and he looks a little like a person with a thyroid condition, be not afraid, he's just practicing his eye twinkling!

1 comment:

  1. I love that he asked how to make his eyes twinkle!
    How cute is he??
    Hope you are well - I finally brought in my stacks of books to school the other day. It was like reliving NCTE all over again!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.