Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mountain Climbing


Collin went rock climbing with my Mom this week. She took him twice and the second time took some of his friends too. How cool is that? She even sent me pictures! Being a working mother is sometimes like climbing mountains. I do a lot of reaching out and holding on.

This week (and most of next) I'm out of town working--writing for Plugged-In to Reading. How lucky am I to have Mom do things with Collin? And cool things to boot. How lucky am I to have a safe and loving place for him to go when I need a hand? She is my tether, my safety harness; she holds me up, smiles and says "you can do it." My parents didn't have that when I was growing up. Many of the students I teach don't have that either.

I often think about what life would be like were I not so supported and blessed by my parents , my husband, and my friends. Whenever I need or want to work, they are there to take time with Collin. They help me to do the work that I love. They encourage me and set me free to do it. I'm sure I don't tell them enough, but that's a big deal in my world. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

1 comment:

  1. We are so lucky to have parents like yours! My parents, married for 52 years, still healthy, active, and vital, have been a life-line to me as well, especially in the recent years as my husband deals with mental illness.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.