Friday, July 11, 2008

Ahh....Art Day

Today is art day! Hooray! So what is art day? It's a day that I spend, almost exclusively, in my office/studio creating. Jennifer Gonzales comes over with her boys, Jack and Robert. We let the boys run wild while we paint, collage, scrap and chat. Two weeks ago I made bird and angel collages for all of the Plugged-In to Reading writers. I tore pages about learning and learning theory from an old psychology textbook and included border paper that mimicked standardized testing answer sheets and paired Wendy Ryan's angel images with various birds I had. While I worked away at them metaphors for the work we were about to do spun through my mind: Give your ideas wings. Let your ideas take flight. We are reading angels. Let your talent shine. Think beyond the test. Clich├ęd perhaps, but it brought me peace of mind and focus for the work ahead that week.

I'm not sure what I'll make today, but really it's not about the thing, the piece or the product. Art day is about being.

Every child is an artist. The problem is
how to remain an artist once we grow up.
~Pablo Picasso
Here's 1 of 6 more animal collage from today's art day creations:


2 comments:

  1. Lee Ann, I met you several times in Columbia, SC, when you came to present with the Janet Allen Institutes. I was looking for information about using academic notebooks (I want to revise my use of them this year), and I found your blog about creating art. I am using part of my summer to "make art," keeping an art journal and taking some scrapbooking classes as well. I have having so much fun with my "new" camera as well. I love the metaphors that you created for the Plugged-in team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Olivia, how nice to hear from you! I would love to see your art journal--I've often thought of keeping one just for art, but it seems to mix in with whatever I'm noting, writing or doing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.