Thursday, May 15, 2008

Car Reads



The Scholastic Warehouse Sale started yesterday. Twice a year (December and May) they mark books down by 50%, sometimes more. I stopped by after school looking for good books for Collin and summer time. I came home with 2 bags of books--quite light bags too. I went under the amount I'd earmarked, so I can always go back. The sale's on all next week. I got a few good ones for Collin, among them Big Chickens by Leslie Helakoski: a cute story about 4 fearful hens who end up conquering a wolf. Just had to scan a few pictures here. I love picture book art and this one is no exception. The colors are bright, the hens round and alarmist--it's all too cute.

Collin climbed in the car when I picked him at Mom's house and immediately started reading *love it*. He laughed out loud at Big Chickens and kept saying "Mom, Mom, look at this Chicken--she's like (mouth open wide Ahhhh-screamish sound effect from the back seat)..." I of course could not (and did not) look as I was driving, but Collin has learned to hold things up so that I can see them in the rear view mirror. As long as I make the appropriate sound effects, he's satisfied with my glance. He read books to me all the way home.

After Big Chickens he wanted to know what else I'd gotten, so I passed him If I Built a Car by Chris Van Dusen. This one is the story of a boy who dreams up the perfect car while riding around in his father's back seat. Wouldn't that be a neat writing activity? Collin loved it. Who wouldn't love a car with a swimming pool and snack bar inside of it? I just loved hearing him read to me, just loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment.